For more information, check out this overview of the features of accountable talk.
Each week we teach, model and practice a new stem. We have found that introducing one stem at a time gives the students more focus and practice time than presenting an entire anchor chart. The stems are posted on the board with words and an illustration. The illustrations are especially important for students who stubble with language for any reason. You can add multi-color, detailed graphics like seen on this site, or you can go simple.
Here is a list of common talking stems for any content or grade level.
· I heard you say__________
· I like how you said_______________
· I agree/disagree with you because__________
· I would like to add ____________
· Can you tell me more about ____________
· In my opinion ________
· One reason I think this is __________
· My idea is ___________
What are your favorite talking stems?