- Each student needs to rip up paper into 4 pieces. I use paper from the recycling bin.
- Place students in heterogeneous groups of five or six. Ask them to stand around a cleared desk.
- Put two minutes on a visual timer.
- Explain to the students that the goal is to brainstorm enough ideas to Blanket the Table (cover the desk top.)
- When they have an idea, they say it aloud to their group, then write it on their scrap of paper and drop it on the table. We use the phrase "Say it, Write it, Drop it."
- Give the students their brainstorming topic - i.e. types of animals, countries in Africa, etc. – about ten seconds of silent think time and then say, "Go!" as you start the clock.
- When time is up, ask the students to give their teammates a High Five or Fist bump.
- At this point you can choose to have students prioritize or categorize their ideas, share their favorites aloud, or just move ahead with the lesson.
Our next Train the Trainer Institutes will be in Boston, December 10-13, 2019 and in Anaheim, January 21-24, 2020. More information and registration details can be found at http://www.ber.org/seminars/CourseInfo.cfm?seid=VXB0F1-BOS